Thursday, January 26, 2006

If you have mp3's, you need this!

So in working on writing an app to stream and control my music library on my pocket pc, I ran accross a REALLY cool web application that does this through a browser on any normal PC with an internet connection. If you own/stole a bunch of mp3's on your pc (and a high speed always on connection), this is a must have IMO.

It's called streampad. (http://www.streampad.com) and it's COMPLETELY FREE! Basically you need to install the server on your home pc (or if you have media jukebox, you can use the media server from that)...and then you create a login. There is some very simple setup, and once you have a login and set up the server, you basically have your own webpage. The page lists all of your music, sorted by genre, artist, album, song name, and you pick what you want to play. It then streams it to the pc you logged in from. So literally you can listen to your entire music library on ANY internet connected pc without installing anything at all. The interface is great and it's very very stable.

Also, besides your own mp3, you have access to other streams, including live concert recordings (O.A.R, Jack Johnson, G Love, Greatful Dead, Gavin Degraw, Ryan Adams and more) and internet radio stations...all for free. It's an open source project (using mostly AJAX and Flash), and there are not banner adds or spyware or anything like that...it's completely legit, and it earns my highest stamp of approval.

Anyway, if you are interested in setting it up and need some help or info on it, let me know and I can walk you through it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds cool. I'm still on the edge of my seat waiting to hear about your fishing trip to Green Lake last weekend? Any success? I'm sure you outfished everyone and came home with your limit?

Steve said...

Oh man...you wouldn't believe me if i told you. We saw fish like mad crazy. I decided to try practice a modified version of catch and release...it's a little easier on the fish...I mentally catch them, then release them. I COULD have caught a ton had I been in the mood to clean fish. But I wasn't...so I didn't.

Anonymous said...

Live concert recordings? how the does that work? Either they are live, or they are recordings.